If you have lost a loved one, or you or someone close to you has been seriously injured in a car accident, contact Atlanta car accident attorney André Dennis. In addition to his extensive experience litigating accident claims on behalf of clients across Georgia, Mr. Dennis brings personal insight and compassion to each and every vehicle collision case. Having lost his own father in a car accident due to another person’s negligence, he understands the devastation his clients are facing not only due to serious injury or the loss of a loved one, but in dealing with the fallout related to medical bills, lost income, and other damages. Let us help you recover the compensation you deserve for your injuries, and get your life back on track.Negligence Under Georgia Law
In Georgia, liability for negligence requires four elements:
- The defendant owed a duty to a plaintiff;
- The defendant breached the duty;
- The plaintiff was injured as a result of the defendant’s breach; and
- The injury caused the plaintiff to incur damages.
On the road, every driver owes a duty to other users of the road to obey all traffic laws and to observe good driving habits. This is also known as the duty to exercise reasonable care. When a driver neglects this duty and causes an accident that results in injury or property damage, he or she is liable for all the damage caused, which may include, but is not limited to, a plaintiff’s:
- Medical costs;
- Property loss;
- Pain and suffering;
- Loss of income; and
- Other damages.
If the accident causes permanent injury, damages may also include costs of ongoing care and treatment, compensation for the loss of enjoyment of life, lost earning capacity, loss of consortium, or other damages. If the accident results in death, the surviving family members of the deceased individual may have a cause of action for wrongful death.The Golden Rules All Car Accident Victims Should Follow
There are 5 “Golden Rules” we recommend that all car accident victims adhere to in order to protect their rights and interests:
- No matter how small the accident is, ALWAYS get an accident report.
- Take photos of any vehicle damage, as well as the scene of the accident.
- Contact your insurance company right away. Discuss ONLY the accident. DO NOT discuss whether you are injured.
- Even if you do not think you are hurt or have only minor injuries, see your doctor or visit an urgent care or emergency medical facility as soon as possible. Not every injury manifests itself right away.
- Promptly consult a qualified personal injury lawyer to find out what your rights are and what remedies may be available to you. Don’t trust an insurance company to tell you your rights.
Carrying vehicle insurance is important, but many people mistakenly believe an insurance policy will provide adequate coverage in an accident. This may be true for a fender-bender or broken windshield, but many policies fall woefully short when it comes to catastrophic injuries.
Even more, insurance companies are not interested in protecting your rights; they are interested in protecting their assets. Their goal is to resolve accident claims quickly and cheaply—and they may try to pressure you into a settlement. It is up to you to protect and defend your own interests. To do that correctly, you should consult a knowledgeable and experienced car accident attorney.
Atlanta personal injury lawyer André Dennis does not allow his clients to be taken advantage of following a car accident or any other catastrophic event. We will represent you in your claim for damages against negligent drivers and their insurers, and we are willing to take your case all the way to trial if necessary. If you or a family member has been injured in a car accident, call The Dennis Law Firm at (844) 913-4448 or contact us online for a free case evaluation, and give us the opportunity to explain how you can obtain all the damages to which you are legally entitled.